Wednesday, August 5, 2009

6/12/07

Merm-- so glad you sent this-- this is my first chance at a computer ( at the local library down the street from my house-- god bless libraries!!) and I haven't read the blog yet, but will do so. NO I have not heard from the Apple people-- will call before I go down to Provi tomorrow.

To all: Maine is beyond sublime. I will have a very hard time leaving here, for sure. I have already spent great time with my friend Ann, who lives down the road 1/4 mile and who runs a county literacy prorgram nearby. We have been to the local organic bakery for breakfast with the entire wider community, shopped at the local organic farmers' market( read seriously HIPPIE and expensive farmers of wool, goats, beef and pigs who turn those things and their by-products into wildly expensive "natural" products while looking like they are living in 1968-- no lie. Needless to say they are ALL from away, and none of the locals actually shop at that market....) and had dinner with her adorable 6 year old Hattie while husband Bob and son Beckett were away fixing up rental cottages Bob's family owns. Then I had wine and snacks with another neighbor closer==she and her husband moved here from Marlyand last summer. All these people are of course PLU in the sense of being connected to outside affairs and not being flaming right wingers, which some of the locals are. However, the locals have been great too--particularly my next door neighbor Joan who gets the Angel of the Year award for looking after my house and sending her kids over to help me carry things. etc.

My house it just perfect-- now sort of topsy turvy as I try to place the newest load of candles, dishes, linens, lamps etc --most from Anna Gresch--

Yesterday I shopped at Mardens-- oh bliss oh joy-- and found many wonderful things I had on my must have list-- such as can opener, measuring tape, level, kitchen scrub brushes and a MATTRESS. The one that was left to me would be less comfortable than an Alpine slope....

We have had hot weather interspersed with the usual Maine showers=-- it is a lovely time of year here-- green and full of wildflowers. Lily and I take regular walks down the wharf road nearby to look at the beach at high tide low tide and inbetween tides. We also go to the point of the peninsula--about 3 miles down--where the little coastal islands look JUST like our island area.

I do hope you can one by one come and enjoy the house soon-=Merm, it will be more than ready for you and a crowd to enjoy in the fall.

Jules and Babbo--doesn't Moomie's message make you want to see East Africa? I just can't imagine how interesting it must be. Sounds like the adjustment time has been good, Moom. I mean getting used to a so much slower pace and type of life-- THAT is pretty much the same all over Africa, from what I know and hear about.

It is wonderful you are staying with M'Kaya's aunt--what a great set up. I wish like crazy I was there with you.

Must get to my work for now --don't want to hog this computer. More very soon all-- Love you Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment